The South Carolina Lawyer Blog

(843) 314-4202

When Injuries are Not Involved

Posted by Hopkins Law Firm | Jul 19, 2022 | 0 Comments

Who Should You Call After A Car Accident

It is natural to feel very overwhelmed when you have just been in a car accident in South Carolina. You know you have to make many big decisions quickly, but you aren't sure where to start. You will be required to make several calls after a car accident, but some of those calls can wait if there are no injuries.

If the accident is significant and there are injuries involved, call a South Carolina personal injury attorney. We know how stressful and traumatizing this time can be for you. You need someone on your side to make sure that you get the compensation you deserve.

Know who to call and when after your South Carolina car crash.

When Injuries are Not Involved

When injuries are not involved, the only call you will have to make is to your insurance company. And then, only if the damage is over $1,000. You won't need to call the police for your car accident if there are no injuries.

If you have damage over $1,000, you will need to send a written report to the South Carolina DMV. This is FR-309 and must be sent to the DMV within 15 days. This form is required by law as stipulated by South Carolina Motor Vehicle Code § 56-5-1270.

When Injuries are Involved

It's common sense to call for medical attention after a car accident if there have been injuries or a fatality. The call for medical attention should be the first call you make and is a required call stipulated by South Carolina Motor Vehicle Code § 56-5-1260.

You will also have to call the police. The easiest way to do this is to call 9-1-1, and you will get both medical and police attention immediately.

Call Your Insurance Company

You will have to call your own insurance company to report the crash as soon as you can. It does not have to be the same day. The sooner you call them, the better.

Call a South Carolina Car Accident Attorney

Call a South Carolina car accident attorney when you have been in a car accident and don't know what to do. Even if there are no injuries and the situation is messy, call us at 843-314-4202, and we can help you sort it out.  Contact our South Carolina car accident attorney today for a free review of your case.


Do I have to sign a release for records or anything else if the insurance company asks me to?

You might have to, and you might not. We wouldn't know without knowing what the release is for. It is best not to do so until you talk to a lawyer. Tell your insurance company to send you the release, and tell them you will have a lawyer look at it before it is returned to them. A release is just that. You are releasing rights of some kind to them. You may need to, or it may finish your claim earlier than you want it to.

Am I required to speak with the other driver's insurance company after the crash?

You may be required to at some point, but if there have been injuries, refer them to a personal injury attorney. They will be working to minimize their damages, and you may wind up saying the wrong thing if you don't understand the nature or purpose of some of their questions.

Will I get money from the other driver?

If the other driver was entirely responsible for the accident, you will. If the driver was the most responsible, your portion of responsibility will come out of the final costs. The other driver will still have to pay. The only time you won't get compensated for the accident and your losses is if you are entirely responsible for the accident.

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Principled. Practical. Personal.

When you have to go to court, you want to know your lawyer will fight for you so you get the best possible outcome. Here at Hopkins Law Firm, our team of personal injury, family law, and criminal defense lawyers has the experience and insights needed to help you present your best case. Our team has helped many clients to protect their future. With locations in Charleston, Pawleys Island, and Myrtle Beach, we can make sure you get the counsel you need anywhere in South Carolina.