The trauma of a car accident frequently leaves individuals who are involved feeling disturbed and unclear of what to do next. Accidents might occur even if you consider yourself to be a cautious driver because of someone else's carelessness. Your health and financial well-being depend on you knowing what to do following a car accident.
South Carolina is consistently ranked in the ten most dangerous states in which to drive because of the high rate of roadway fatalities, especially on rural roads. Even so, personal vehicles are still the most common form of transportation. Our cars are an absolute necessity that helps us visit friends and family, go grocery shopping, and commute to work. Unfortunately, with so many people out on the road, accidents are bound to happen.
Following a car accident, everyone should adhere to the five pieces of advice provided below from a personal injury attorney. These guidelines will help you make sure that you take the proper actions to preserve your rights and get the compensation you are entitled to, whether you were in a small mishap or a serious one.
These are 5 recommendations Hopkins Law Firm recommends for anyone to follow following a car accident:
- Seek Medical Attention: After an accident, get medical help right away since your health and safety come first. Even though you feel OK, some injuries might not manifest themselves for days or even weeks. You can recognize and treat any injuries as soon as they occur and document them for insurance purposes by going to the doctor as soon as possible after the accident.
- Contact the Police: Make a police complaint about the accident. Give the cops true details and get a copy of the police report. This report may be useful for your insurance claim and any necessary legal action.
- Document the Accident Scene: Take pictures and videos of the accident scene, capturing any injuries, skid marks, and damage to both vehicles. Note the name, phone number, and insurance information of the other driver. Get the contact details of any witnesses to the collision as well.
- Do Not Admit Fault: Refrain from apologizing or taking responsibility for the accident at the site. Let the police and your insurance provider decide who is at fault.
- Contact a Personal Injury Attorney: To assist you in navigating the legal system and make sure your rights are upheld, speak with a Personal Injury Attorney. An expert attorney can give you legal counsel, deal with insurance companies, and, if required, represent you in court.
Keep in mind that the aftermath of an automobile accident can be stressful and unclear. By taking these actions, you may safeguard your safety, record the accident, and gather the proof you need to back up your insurance claim.
Following your accident, hiring an attorney to help you seek compensation is probably the last thing on your mind. We understand this, which is why we want you to focus on recovering while we make sure you are treated fairly by the insurance companies. Call us today at 843-314-4202 or online for your free case evaluation. We won't charge attorneys' fees unless we help you recover money.