If you have been injured due to no fault of your own, we are here to help you.
Suffering a sudden serious injury may impact your entire life, as well as the lives of your loved ones. Recovering and dealing with the pain along with physical therapy can be difficult. Trying to focus on your health while financial troubles mount can make the problem overwhelming. If you have been injured in an accident caused by another party's negligence or misconduct, you do have the legal right to protect yourself through the courts. We are ready to help.
Our knowledgeable team offers you free consultation to discuss your options. We will thoroughly investigate all the circumstances pertaining to your injury to decide if you have a case.
Our firm handles life-changing injury and wrongful death cases in Charleston, Georgetown, Pawleys Island, Myrtle Beach, and across South Carolina, including but not limited to:
- Bicycle Accidents
- Boating Accidents
- Burn Injuries
- Car Accidents
- Defective Products
- Dog Bite Injuries
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Injuries to Children
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Pharmaceutical/Dangerous Drug Injuries
- Slip and Fall Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Truck Accidents
- Wrongful Death
We frequently handle cases involving devastating conditions like broken bones, traumatic brain injury (TBI), spinal cord injuries, paralysis, burns, birth injuries, medical complications, back injuries, and more.
At the Hopkins Law Firm, we understand that these types of injuries can cause lifelong disabilities and hardship for victims and their families. It is important to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible following your accident.
You Can Recover Compensation
In South Carolina, injury victims are entitled to receive compensation for the full extent of their damages. This is because the goal of injury compensation is to put the victim back into the position that they would have been in had the accident never taken place. Of course, this is not possible in a literal sense.
You cannot reverse the immense pain and suffering that comes along with a severe injury. Thus, victims are entitled to recover a financial reward that is equivalent to those damages. How much you can recover will always depend on the specific facts of your case. Though, you may be able to seek compensation for:
- All of your medical expenses
- Any rehabilitation-related expenses
- Long-term disability
- Lost wages and loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
What Should You Do After Suffering A Serious Injury In South Carolina?
Unfortunately, many injury victims are unable to recover the full compensation that they deserve. This happens because mistakes are made immediately following the accident. By taking the proper steps immediately after suffering an injury, you will go a long way towards protecting your rights.
If you have been seriously injured in a South Carolina accident, please consider the following list of the four things that you need to do as soon as possible:
- Seek medical attention: There is nothing that should come before your health. After suffering any type of injury, you should get yourself a comprehensive medical evaluation. Often, your injuries will be far more serious than you realize. Injuries like head trauma and back damage are difficult to diagnose and often come with a delayed onset. You need to protect your health. Further, it is also important to get medical attention from a legal perspective. In the event that you choose to take legal action in relation to your injuries, you will need official medical documentation. Without the documentation that you will receive during your medical exams, it will be very difficult to prove the full extent of your injuries.
- Report your injury: You must also report your injury to all appropriate authorities. Who needs to know about your injury will depend on the specific circumstances of your case. For example, if you were injured in a Charleston car accident, you will need to report your accident to the local highway authorities and to any implicated insurance companies. Alternatively, if you were injured on the job in Columbia, you will need to report your injury to your supervisor and to the South Carolina Workers' Compensation Commission. Regardless of where and how it occurred, you need to report your injury. This will establish a valid record that it happened and that you fulfilled your legal duties.
- Secure evidence: Successful personal injury claims require evidence. After suffering an injury, you need to take proactive steps to preserve any evidence that you can get your hands on. Unfortunately, many types of evidence will quickly begin to disappear. If you fail to secure evidence soon after your accident, you may miss out on your opportunity to do so. For example, if you do not obtain a witness statement immediately after your accident, you may lose track of that witness. Alternatively, their statement may be perceived as less reliable.
- Contact an attorney: Ultimately, the most important thing you can do after a serious accident is to consult with a South Carolina personal injury attorney. Your attorney can make sure that you do everything the right way so that your legal rights are protected. As one example, your personal injury attorney will ensure that you can gather and secure all forms of evidence that are relevant to your claim.
Contact Our South Carolina Personal Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
No Attorneys' Fees If You Don't Recover Compensation
If you think you might benefit from consulting with a personal injury lawyer in South Carolina, contact us. We would be honored to hear your story and see how we can help. The Hopkins Law Firm will work closely with you to keep you informed, answer your questions and explain the legal process. We will work hard to obtain the best possible recovery for you, whether through negotiation or trial. Let our years of litigation expertise and experience work for you!