Advocating For People Harmed By Defective Products
Manufacturers are required by law to comply with certain safety regulations in the design and production of their products. When an injury occurs as a result of a design flaw or manufacturing error, manufacturers can be held liable for any injuries suffered. As consumers, we have the right to expect that the products we purchase will work as advertised. We also have a right to expect that we can use those products safely. When a defective product causes you to sustain injuries, you can seek compensation through a product liability claim.
At the Hopkins Law Firm, we handle complex litigation involving defective products for clients throughout Charleston, Georgetown, Pawleys Island, Myrtle Beach, and the rest of South Carolina and nationwide. Please contact us to find out more about our services.
What is a Product Liability Lawsuit?
A product liability lawsuit is a type of civil claim that seeks to hold a retailer, manufacturer, or designer liable for any injuries you sustain while using a product in its intended way. There are limits, however, to your ability to make a claim. If you were using the product in an unsafe way, or in a way that is unintended, you could be barred from recovering. Because South Carolina follows a form of modified comparative negligence, you could also find your damage award lowered.
What are the Types of Defects?
There are three categories of defects:
- Design defect. Design defects imply that the actual plans behind a product were faulty, or that the device was not tested properly.
- Marketing defects. Also called “failure to warn,” a marketing defect occurs when a device fails to list potential side effects, or when a company fails to disclose any potential problems. Failure to warn is often cited in cases involving defective drugs or medical devices.
- Manufacturing defect. A manufacturing defect is one that occurs during the building, or production, of the device. This is the rarest type of claim, but it does happen.
In many cases, a defective product can fall into more than one category.
Why You Need an Experienced South Carolina Product Liability Lawyer
Product liability is a different kind of personal injury claim. You need an experienced lawyer who can represent your best interests. At the Hopkins Law Firm, our personal injury attorneys will:
- Review all of your medical records
- Investigate your accident or claim
- Handle the insurance companies
- Work to have your property losses mitigated
- Ensure your claim is filed correctly and on-time
- Work one-on-one with you, so that you always get answers to the questions you seek
The most important thing we do for clients, however, is walk them through the process of making a claim for compensation.
Contact an Experienced South Carolina Product Liability Lawyer Today
The Hopkins Law Firm offers free initial consultations, and takes cases on contingency. That means you pay nothing until we win your case. Once you have been awarded compensation, we take our fees and expenses from that. You pay nothing out of pocket.
The Hopkins Law Firm handles complex product liability claims on behalf of victims and their families. If you or your loved one was hurt, we want to help. Call our office at 843-314-4202 or shoot us an email to schedule a free consultation to evaluate your legal options.